Trophyville, USA

Stomping Yankee fans in the City of Champions

Sunday, September 11, 2005

tennis anyone

ep
in a weekend of nfl and baseball, i need to take a moment to acknowledge the potential legend that is growing in the world of men's tennis. Roger Federer. Could be the greatest of all time. Has every shot, every instinct, superb fitness, supreme drive, mental toughness. And maybe the nicest guy in the Open Era. Andy Roddick: "I want to hate him, but he's such a nice guy that I can't." He even shows up on his own time to press junkets and answers every single question and does a mini interview with every reporter that asks for one.

23 Finals in a row. Ridiculous winning streaks against every major contender. Federer won his 10th tournament this year and 32nd title overall - 20 on hard courts. He ran his 2005 record to 45-1 on hard courts and 71-3 overall, the most dominant year by a man since John McEnroe went 82-3 in 1984. Federer's 35th straight hard court victory also broke Sampras' mark, set twice, of 34 straight.
Aggasi (35 year old grizzled tour veteran): "He plays the game in a very special way that I haven't seen before. I think he's the best I've played against. He's the only guy I've ever played against you hold serve to go 1-0 and you think all right, good. And I'm not just making fun of it."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home