Trophyville, USA

Stomping Yankee fans in the City of Champions

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Baseball < Women's College BBall?

from Peter King yesterday:

I found it incredible that the semifinals of the women's Final Four, not the opening game of the baseball season, featuring the world champion White Sox, was on ESPN Sunday night, shuttling the baseball game to ESPN2. Insignificant? I think not. What that means is that a huge number of TV households, including mine, had the choice of watching the Maryland-North Carolina women in high-def or the debut of baseball for the year in non-high-def -- because most cable subscribers don't get ESPN2 in high-def.

I'm sure this has something to do with some contract with the NCAA or some such nonsense, but this is a major slap in the face to baseball. I can see ESPN ditching a September baseball game for a September NFL game, but for a women's basketball game? Having had two daughters play sports, I love women's sports and I watched a good chunk of the Duke-UConn regional final last week, but to demote the first game of the baseball season below a women's game? I can't believe that makes ratings sense or common sense.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home