So glad we got rid of this retard:
Sox fans ‘vicious’: Damon decries the booing
By Michael Silverman
Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - Updated: 08:07 AM EST
NEW YORK - Johnny Damon has had more than a week to digest the loud chorus of boos he heard at Fenway Park in his first game back since becoming a Yankee.
Considering he has already been booed here at Yankee Stadium as a Yankee, he is really not that wrapped up in the whole drama anymore.
“You know, I tried for the fans in Boston every day I played there,” Damon said before the Sox’ 14-3 rout of the Yankees.
“If they still feel like that, they need to go settle that up with ownership, not with me.”
Still, Damon was taken aback by how negative the reception was.
“I was surprised,” he said. “It was vicious, pretty vicious.”
Damon is not too sure what to make of the reaction, both leading up to his return and now more than a week removed. He did not want to offer a guess on what kind of reception Pedro Martinez will receive next month when he comes to Fenway pitching for the New York Mets.
“I’m not sure about that but the whole thing with me was made into such a big deal,” Damon said. “People started thinking about what they were going to do and how they were going to act. I know what I did for Boston, even if the fans forget about it.”
Damon understands his pinstripes are what bother people more than the fact that he left, but he does not understand why fans never look at the role management played in the failed negotiations.
Damon, who went hitless last night and is 0-for-7 against his old club this year, thinks he probably would not be playing for the Yankees if other teams had known how little the Red Sox ultimately valued him.
The Yankees signed Damon for four years, $13 million a year. The Red Sox are believed to have offered Damon a four-year deal worth $10 million a year.
“There would have been 20 other teams who would have offered me what the Yankees did if they knew they’d have a chance to get me, and I probably wouldn’t be here,” Damon said.
“But Boston, in the end, had only the fourth- or fifth-best offer on the list.”
Damon describes his reception from his new home fans at Yankee Stadium as “incredible,” although they have not been shy about letting him know how they feel if he should mess up.
“If you go out and play hard, they’ll accept it,” Damon said. “But, you hear it, if you struggle. Like, ‘Ooooh, you should go back.’ ”
Damon described the overall grief level locally as “not much, not much at all.”
Yankees fans are currently his favorite.
“These fans know what kind of player I am,” said Damon. “So do the players. That’s why they came after me so hard.”
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home