Ortiz update
Team not far from Ortiz's thoughts
TORO, Dominican Republic -- David Ortiz is driven around this island in a white Hummer by three beefy bodyguards. At night, he looks like Darth Vader has just gone on an intergallactic jewelry shopping spree. The trademark black wraparound sunglasses, a black cap, and black T-shirt. The diamond earring, diamond rings, gold chains, and designer jeans with a spattering of white paint.
He's mobbed everywhere. The Hummer has no license plates. Everybody knows who's inside it. Big Papi isn't afraid of a ticket. His white Mercedes doesn't have plates, either. Big Papi isn't worried about being arrested.
"No," said Ortiz, laughing. "I'm big time here."
On Thursday, he made a stop at the Red Sox' Dominican baseball academy near Santo Domingo , where a new batting cage was named in honor of Boston's designated hitter. The next generation of major league hopefuls mobbed him, seeking autographs and posing in front of his cars.
Ortiz, who on Tuesday won the Edgar Martinez Award as the majors' top DH for an unprecedented fourth straight year, said the 2007 edition of the Red Sox "is starting to come together strong."
But mostly, Ortiz dodged questions about Manny RamÃrez. "I just hope the Manny thing is all talk," he said. "Hopefully, he stays on the team and everything goes back to normal."
"Don't you feel like saying [to him], 'Let's just play ball?' " one reporter asked.
"No," Ortiz said.
Some observers expressed concern about the Red Sox' free agent signing of J.D. Drew.
"Hopefully, J.D. stays healthy," said Ortiz. "I think he'll do good. J.D. Drew is a good player. He has good numbers over the years. Good athlete. So, I'm pretty sure he's going to do some damage out there."
Asked to explain why the Sox gave Drew a $70 million deal after last year offering $40 million to Johnny Damon, Ortiz shrugged.
"There's things we can control and I can't complain about the people that write my check," he said. "Whatever move they make."
"Are you happy with that?" he was asked.
"I have to be. What do you want me to say? Hopefully, everything goes well with him."
Ortiz is pleased that the Sox signed fellow Dominican Julio Lugo to play shortstop.
"I saw him the other day," said Ortiz. "That's my boy. We've been playing ball since we were in the minor leagues. We always stayed in touch. I'm happy to see him wearing the [Red Sox] uniform. There's a lot of people excited about watching him do what he normally does against us."
Ortiz also spoke about Japanese pitching star Daisuke Matsuzaka, whom the Sox hope to sign.
"I've never seen him pitch, but I heard a lot of good things," said Ortiz. "I hope everything goes good."
Ortiz said there is an adjustment to pitching in the major leagues.
"All the dudes over there are really small," he said. "I went to Japan and they looked at me like, 'Who is this Big Man?' "
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home