Trophyville, USA

Stomping Yankee fans in the City of Champions

Monday, October 31, 2005

ESPN's coverage last night - ep (and update on Brian Cashman)

from BSMW:
ESPN's coverage last night was in a word, awful. Twice the network went to extended interviews/sideline reports during the action, and ending up missing live play-by-play of a key turnover. During the Brady fumble, Suzy Kolber was reporting on Bruschi's comeback, and kept right on talking through the play, through the replays of the play and up to the commercial break. Rosevelt Colvin's sack and strip of Kelly Holcomb was shown in a split screen (though it was the bigger screen) while an interview with Bob Kraft was being played. Combine that with the usual inane analysis from Paul McGuire (When he said he was sure that the Branch catch would be overturned, my friend Tim said immediately that he now felt much better and knew that the catch would stand) and you had a frustrating night from the coverage as well. I'm usually not a basher of the ESPN Sunday night crew, as I like Mike Patrick, and think Joe Theismann has his moments as well, but last night too much emphasis was put on subplots (Bruschi)and outside news (Giants winning in memory of Mara) rather than on the game. There's no doubt the Bruschi story is huge and deserves a ton of coverage, but not at the expense of the game coverage.


from Peter King:

"I think this is the hardest job in sports.''

--Yankees GM Brian Cashman, after signing a new three-year contract with the team.

Without wanting to sound too disrespectful, Brian, ARE YOU HIGH?!!!!!!

First, I respect the job you do, and I respect you a lot more for going to Wellington Mara's funeral the other day. Very, very nice, and you always represent the Yankees with class, which I'm sure is not easy.

But let's get real here. You don't play quarterback, you don't have to hit a Roger Clemens' splitter. You get to spend seven times as much in payroll as another team in your division, Tampa Bay. Every player worth his salt wants to play for the Yankees. You have the greatest manager, Joe Torre, the greatest leader, Derek Jeter, and the greatest closer, Mariano Rivera. You know how many general managers would trade jobs with you in a New York minute?

Now I know your boss can be a tyrant. You probably get abused. Cry me a river. You're making $1.7 million a year. You manage the biggest and best franchise in a sport that is America's pastime.

Do yourself a favor, Brian. Deny you ever said this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home